Happy 1st day of July! We made it through the first six months of the year. I know it has been rough, but God continues to sustain us – keep praying. Today we will continue our reading in Acts chapter 8, verses 4-8. The reading begins with the scattering of the believers (if you missed yesterday’s devotion you may want to read that first) and seeing God’s presence in the midst of persecution.
“4 But the believers who were scattered preached the Good News about Jesus wherever they went. 5 Philip, for example, went to the city of Samaria and told the people there about the Messiah. 6 Crowds listened intently to Philip because they were eager to hear his message and see the miraculous signs he did. 7 Many evil[a] spirits were cast out, screaming as they left their victims. And many who had been paralyzed or lame were healed. 8 So there was great joy in that city.” – Acts 8:4-8 NLT
- Believers continued to preach the Good News about Jesus – wherever they went.
- Philip mentioned here was one of the seven men appointed by the apostles in Acts chapter six, verse five. Philip was listed after Stephen and selected as one of the seven to run a food program because he was well respected and full of the Spirit and wisdom.
- Philip didn’t stay with the apostles, he fled to Samaria.
- Philip still filled with the Holy Spirit preached the message, performed signs and miracles – casting out demons and healing the lame.
Philip was not an apostle but he was full of the Spirit and wisdom. God was within him and actively using him before the apostles appointed him. While Philip scattered/fled – fearful of persecution, Philip did not stop preaching the Good News (Gospel Message) of Jesus. Philip’s obedience to the call to share the Good News resulted in many being set free from evil spirits and physical limitations (disabilities).
While the believers were scattered out of fear, God’s plan continued to prevail throughout regions that never heard the Good News of Jesus. Captives were being set free and healed – in Jesus name.
Sisters and brothers, you don’t need to wait to be recognized by others before you begin to do what God has called you to do. God has already built within you amazing gifts, and a passion for the call on your life. He will anoint you to fulfill His purpose and plan for your life, for the greater good of the Kingdom. God already knows the details ahead – the greater plan. Align your will to God’s will and watch the but God moment unveil. Trust Him.
Sisters and brothers, maybe you have scattered or fled from persecution, are held in bondage due to fear or past mistakes, or are not sure which direction you should go. If that is you:
- Begin to seek God in prayer.
- Be real with God about where you are in your life.
- Tell God about the things you desire to see occur within you and around you.
- Surrender your will to God and ask Him to come into your heart. Ask Him to change you and make you whole. To give you an obedient heart and mind toward the things that concern Him. Allow God to take the lead.
Father God we thank you for today’s devotion. Thank you for the reassurance of the call that is on our lives. Thank you for the reminder that you are the One who gives power, who gives wisdom, who fills us with the Holy Spirit, who gifts us with spiritual gifts to reach and love on those who are downhearted, lost, and unknowingly seeking after you. Lord, forgive us for the times when we fled or scattered out of fear or persecution. Lord, we know you can use us wherever we go or wherever you send us. Lord we ask that you continue to equip us while we are on the journey, fill us with the Spirit and wisdom, and remove our fears or insecurities. Help us to rely on Your power to cast out demons and to heal the lame in Jesus name. Lord continue to set the captives free (e.g., mentally, emotionally, spiritually, physically and financially). In the mighty name of Jesus Christ we pray, amen.
Registration for our next women’s retreat is open.
Theme: Hope Anchored by Faith – “We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.” Hebrews 6:19
When: Saturday, July 25, 2020
Time: 9:00 AM Pacific Standard Time
In an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19 the retreat will be held online as a virtual retreat. Register in advance:
Do you have a prayer request? We would love to pray for you. Send your prayer request to: email@example.com
Bible Reference: http://biblegateway.com
Copyright 2020 Mary E. White Ministries, all rights reserved.